Free subdomain

Hello all,

Is there a place that provides a free subdomain that works as a paid top level domain - and has been operating for many years, so you know they will stick around for a long time without issues?

Have you ever used them? Have experience to share?

Comments

• Maybe www.no-ip.com or www.afraid.org

Thanked by (3)shallow Ympker xleet
  • chickenkiller.com

• edited January 2023

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

No-ip and bplaced have been around forever

• https://freedns.afraid.org/

I use it since the late 90s 👌

"From the diamonds nothing is born, from the manure the flowers are born ..."
    F. De Andrè --- Free NAT KVM

• I have been using FreeDNS (afraid.org) for 10 years and can vouch for the owner. If you use the free version, you must login a few times a year to keep your account active, but it sends automatic email reminders.

FreeDNS (afraid.org) offers free subdomains, and I also use them for dynamic DNS. When I did more business travel, I used it to connect to my home network, which has a dynamic IP address.

https://freedns.afraid.org

• @xleet said: can vouch for the owner

Yeah Josh's a cool guy.

My afraid.org account was registered back in 2006.

I used to "contribute" public domains for IRCnetizens and EFnetizens :smiley:

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @Astride3961 said:
    Hello all,

Is there a place that provides a free subdomain that works as a paid top level domain - and has been operating for many years, so you know they will stick around for a long time without issues?

Have you ever used them? Have experience to share?

If you really want a free subdomain that works as a paid top level domain, then you would do best to pay for a top level domain

Otherwise, you can get a free subdomain that may or may not work as a paid top level domain

(There's no free lunch)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• EU.org, free domain names since 1996
    I've been using this one for two years, but only as intermediate API endpoint.

Webhosting24 aff best VPS; ServerFactory aff best VDS; Cloudie best ASN; Huel aff best brotein.

• @TheDP said:

@xleet said: can vouch for the owner

Yeah Josh's a cool guy.

are u still on IRCnet ?

• Another vote for freedns.afraid.org. Been using them for DNS also for about 15 years or so. I'm also using 'em for dyn dns services as well. Top notch.

• @cold said:

@TheDP said:

@xleet said: can vouch for the owner

Yeah Josh's a cool guy.

are u still on IRCnet ?

Yes, but only in private channels with old friends, who are also admins/opers on other networks.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).